Phinney Ridge Lutheran Church (PRLC) is seeking a dynamic leader for our growing children, youth, and family ministry here in Seattle. This person will oversee a comprehensive faith formation ministry that includes children from pre-K through high school and their families. We desire an applicant who is creative, curious, fun-loving, Christ-centered, and great with children and youth.
While we have a vision of what this full-time position will entail, we seek an applicant with knowledge of current best practices and the experience and energy to help grow this ministry. This is a new position for our congregation. Previously we had a part-time position that focused on children (grades K-5) and a collaborative youth ministry with several other congregations.
We desire a candidate who can help us evaluate and expand this position description over time.
- Attend worship services, the Sunday morning educational hour (“Sunday school”), and Wednesday evening family ministry activities (“Bread for the Journey”)
- Determine curriculum for Sunday school, Bread for the Journey, and confirmation in collaboration with pastors and staff
- Teach high school Sunday school and middle school confirmation, including the tenets of Lutheran theology (ELCA)
- Develop and lead youth ministry events, including regular youth group, periodic confirmation retreats (with the pastors), fellowship events, service opportunities, lock-ins, summer trips, Bible study, etc.
- Recruit, train, and support adult volunteers, particularly teachers for Bread for the Journey, Sunday school, youth group, vacation bible school, etc.
- Coordinate preparation of class and event logistics, including setting up, communicating with other staff about facility needs, securing supplies, etc.
- Oversee boundary policies and ensure all those who work with children and youth are appropriately trained and background checked
- Support parents with resources, information, classes, and events that help them fulfill the promises they made at their children’s baptisms
- Determine CYF spending priorities and maintain appropriate financial records, in partnership with the Parish Administrator and Congregation Council
- Manage communication with youth, families, and the congregation
- Theology. Place an emphasis on God’s radical and expansive love for all creation, helping children, youth, and families discover the love God has for each of them and God’s desire for them to share that love in the world
- Child-centered. Help make PRLC a community where children and youth are welcomed, honored, and included as valued members of the body of Christ; help our young people find ways to engage with worship and other ministries at PRLC and ensure their voice is heard and considered in congregational decisions
- Community engagement. Facilitate connections with youth and organizations outside our congregation, including our neighborhood, our synod, and the ELCA churchwide organization
- Team mindset. This position reports directly to the Associate Pastor and will work closely with all ministry staff in forming comprehensive congregational ministry priorities and schedules
- 2+ years of youth ministry experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Pass required background checks
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Active membership in a Christian faith community
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and social media platforms
- Familiarity with Lutheran theology and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Certification or formal education in children, youth, and family ministry/faith formation
- Salary DOE
- Competitive benefits package
- Schedule flexibility outside of required activities
- Funds and time for continuing education provided annually
- Paid membership to the ELCA Youth Ministry Network
PRLC is a Reconciling in Christ congregation, which means we are open and affirming of the LGBTQ+ community. PRLC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, citizenship status, gender expression, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
If interested, please send cover letter, resume, and list of references to Erica Shutes-David, search committee chair, at email@example.com.